Jan 27, 2009

If I had theme music...

I woke up the other day to a silent apartment with nothing more than the whizzing of my air purifier (which I promised myself I'd clean tonight). I walked around Central Park the other day with no other noise than that of my feet hitting the floor and cracking the ice patches I walked over. I was waiting for the subway late the other night when I realized that all that kept me company was the rats and their gnawing and scratching at whatever they could find on the tracks from the day's commuter. However, when I came face-to-face to the realization that I needed a little theme music of my own was last Saturday when I walked into the 19th century impressionist wing at the Met, looked around the room and my gaze finally settled on Claude Monet's Haystacks (click here for visual aid). Next to it, was this Monet.
Right around that time, the Thomas Crown Soundtrack started to play on my iPod and it was determined, that from that moment forth, I would pick a theme/soundtrack to my day(s).

With over 7,000 song in my library how could I pick a few for my very own soundtrack. The catch was, my soundtrack is already someone else's soundtrack. What do I mean? The songs to the soundtrack of my life are not only some of the best movie themes/songs out there, but also all part of my favorite movies. So really, it's like the soundtrack of the soundtrack of I'd see myself as... or more like the soundtrack of the soundtrack of theme of the soundtrack of the movie that is life... my life!
Well, I will provide some insight to a few of the choices:
  • Of course, I can't begin without the Thomas Crown Affair (1999) soundtrack. It was the medium through which I became enlightened and also, it doesn't hurt that I'd totally do Pierce Brosnan in this movie and that he's doing Rene Russo who is a total hottie in the movie as well. Who doesn't want to be rich, famous with a great looking lover and stealing shit? Count me in -
  • Next up, songs I'd love to crawl from bed to the shower with... or song that, given the context in which they appear in the movies, totally provide a visual representation of how the process of bed-floor-shower works for me. These include The Blue Wrath (Shaun of the Dead), A.M. 180 (28 Days Later) and the Amelie Poulain Theme (you guessed it, Amelie Poulain )
  • From here on out is the daily 'being awake' time: morning, afternoon, evening, etc. I associate different moods with these songs -
  1. M.I.A - Paper Planes (Pineapple Express) - I know everyone does it so I am not ashamed of admitting it: dance to yourself all alone. I act out this song, I mouth the songs, I thug it out... I really get into it and it's does moments when you feel great and with a tad too much energy.
  2. Lustra - Scotty Doesn't Know (Eurotrip) - Not only one of my favorites movies but also one of my favorite songs. This songs definitely the one when I have way too much energy. I jump around, sing it, play the movie and act out the scenes and say the lines as if I'd seen the movie 15 times ( I have)
  3. If I were walking down the street and these songs were my background music, everyone better get the fuck out of the way 'cause I'm taking you down:  Jack White & Alicia Keys - Another Way to Die (007 : Quantum of Solace); Chris Cornell - You Know my Name ( 007 : Casino Royale); Ventures - Pulp Fiction Theme (Pulp Fiction);  Moby - Extreme Ways (Bourne Trilogy). Yeah, nobody can lay a finger on me - 
  4. You're the one that I want - Grease (Grease), Les Champs-Elysee - Joe Dassin (Darjeeling Limited); Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly (Singing in the Rain); The a la Menthe - La Caution (Ocean's Twelve) and 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger (Eurotrip) are songs that simply could play the rest of the day and there would be no way I could have a crappy day. Just thinking of Singing in the Rain makes me smile :)



  • Now for subway waiting, there is no better song I can think of than Rob Dougan's - Clubbed to Death (Enter the Matrix). It is simply great. I could take agents, oversized rats, bums, I could slow down time, teleport, fly, learn kung-fu and dodge bullets with this song on... who knows, maybe I really need all those things being in New York...

  • If I were going out, there's only one song: What is Love - Haddaway (A Night at the Roxbury). 'nuff said




  • Going to bed has it's own feeling and L'Appuntamento (Ocean's Twelve) could work just as well to fall asleep to or a great afternoon at the beach. Being winter, I will use it to go to bed. Also, the Lion Sleeps Tonight (the Lion King) can serve the 'going to bed' purpose.



  • Now, Sundays have their own little song, Jewel's Leaving on a Jet Plane (Armageddon). If you need some splanning, then ask Delphine.






  • And last, but not least, my day could not be complete without Dirty Vega's Days Go By. That song is always playing in the background...


    Finally... the playlist -





    If I had theme music...

    No comments: